Use our Liquid Red Velvet for this delicious dessert!
❤️ Red Velvet Crème Brûlée (makes 5 1- x 4¾-inch ramekins) ❤️
Red Velvet Crème Brûlée Ingredients:
2 cups whipping (35%) cream
½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
⅓ cup + ½ cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon cocoa powder
2 ½ (50 grams) egg yolks
¼ teaspoon JRC Liquid Red Velvet
½ teaspoon liquid red food colouring
Red Velvet Crème Brûlée:
- Preheat the oven down to 300°F. Divide ramekins evenly between 2 baking dishes. Pour in enough water to reach half way up the ramekin.
- To a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the whipping cream and vanilla bean paste just to steaming, stirring every few minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together ⅓ cup of granulated sugar, cocoa powder, and egg yolks. Slowly pour the whipping cream mixture into the sugar mixture, whisking constantly to temper the egg yolks, until fully combined. Whisk in the Liquid Red Velvet and red food colouring.
- Carefully pour the crème brǔlée into your ramekins, and carefully place them all into the dish of water. Carefully place the baking dish of ramekins into the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes to start. You might have to bake them for longer depending on your oven, and how deep your ramekins are. You’ll know they’ve baked long enough when there is only a firm jiggle in the middle of the brǔlée. To check how jiggly it is, very carefully tap the side of the ramekin, being careful not to spill any water onto the crème brǔlée in the ramekin. It shouldn’t be a wet jiggle. If it still seems wet in the middle then bake them another 3-5 minutes at a time. Be careful not to overbake them though or the brǔlées will have a slightly grainy texture.
- Refrigerate baked crème brǔlée until fully set, at least 4 to 5 hours or overnight.
- To serve, sprinkle a generous, even coating of remaining sugar across the tops. With a hand-held butane torch, use slow, sweeping motions to brǔlée the sugar on top until golden brown. Serve immediately after brǔléed. Store non-brǔléed crème brǔlée in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Find more recipes, tips and tricks in our cookbook, Jenna Rae Cakes and Sweet Treats, over 100 recipes for the modern baker.